The humble cauliflower is one of those very understated superfoods that people don’t really notice and it is super affordable. A whole head of cauliflower costs a pound or a couple of dollars even an organic one.
It is a super vegetable. The cauliflower is part of the cruciferous family which includes superfoods such as broccoli, kale (superfood of the moment or last year) and Brussels sprouts. Cauliflower is a good source for dietary fibre, vitamin B1, B2 and B3, potassium and cancer fighting compounds known as glucosinolates. The simple cauliflower packs a pretty strong punch in dietary benefits.
I have recently been roasting cauliflower as a whole head. My inspiration came from a few meals I had whilst on a recent trip. It is super easy and simple to make.
- whole head of cauliflower
- olive oil
- crushed garlic
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Set oven to 200 degrees (if fan assisted then 180degrees)
- Trim off leaves from cauliflower and cut the stalk down so that the cauliflower will lay flat in a casserole dish.
- Prepare the seasoning: I use olive oil mixed with crushed garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Use a sheet of aluminium and rest the cauliflower in the middle inside the casserole dish.
- Paste the seasoning all over the head of the cauliflower.
- Fold up the edges of the aluminium so the seasoning doesn’t run out.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water to the cauliflower. This is to help with steaming it in the over.
- Fold the edges up and close the cauliflower.
- Place in the oven for about 1hour 20mins. Check the cauliflower after about an hour to see how cooked it is. I use a normal knife to test how easy it is to cut into the head of the cauliflower. It should be with very little resistance but still firm so when it is served it can be done in slices. If it needs a bit longer then do the remaining 20mins or so.
- To crisp the top of the cauliflower open the aluminium and place in the oven for 5-8 minutes. Sometimes I sprinkle parmesan over the top to add an extra layer of crunchiness to the top of the cauliflower.
- Serve on another dish and spoon the juice from the aluminium over the cauliflower.